Thursday, April 7, 2011

I'm not dead

Just an update for those of you who may have decided I've abandoned my blog... No, no I haven't turned my back on it completely, just haven't been too motivated to write lately. Not sure why that is. Anyhow, things are going as awesome as before. I guess you could say I'm stuck in a solid routine now-a-days. I'm still dog walking for Wild Bill and loving it more than ever. It's so beneficial to be able to spend a chunk of time outdoors everyday. In the afternoon, I go to my retouching job, which I also really enjoy.

I still run into people who don't really understand what I am doing. They can't see how I can possibly be happy living in my car. For any new readers, and just as a reiteration rant, here are some of my thoughts on the matter:

Why am I doing this?

1.Paying rent is just not worth it.
-Especially in one of the most expensive cities in the world...
-I'm never home anyways. Why pay for a space I pretty much only sleep in?
-Roommate issues. Everyone has them at some point.
-I don't own much stuff, so I don't need a lot of space.
-The cost of other house expenses like utilities and home maintenance tack on a lot to the bill.
-Finding a decently priced place that allows dogs is nearly impossible.
-Finding a decently priced place, period- is nearly impossible.
-Saving all that money every month allows me to do things I've never been able to do before on a tight budget, like see a doctor, and have a savings account that has more than $15 in it!

2 Car-dwelling caters to my minimalist lifestyle
-living with less makes life more simple
-I don't buy unnecessary crap because I simply don't have the space for it.
-Less to worry about breaking or getting lost or stolen.
-I like knowing exactly what I have, and knowing I don't need anything more than that.
-It's just a liberating feeling to be free of the ties that come with having a lot of material items.

3. Mobility
-Commuting is a pain, and wastes a lot of time and gas. It's so nice to have a 5 minute commute, if I so choose.
-Road trips are easy to pack for. You're pretty much ready to go at any given moment.
-You always have everything with you. There's no "Oh shit, I forgot that really important item at home and need to go all the way back to get it."
-It makes getting out of the city easier.
-Adventure. Every day is truly an adventure when there's no limits to where you can go when you get off work. When you don't have a home to go to, the sky is the limit.

Possible Inconveniences I often get asked about:
-Bathroom: cafes, work, client homes, and yes, a jar for when I have to pee in the middle of the night.
-Shower: 24 hr fitness baby! I have 10 shower options all over the city and many more throughout the bay area and California if I'm traveling.
-Keeping food: I don't. Except for dry cereals and buying fruit on a daily basis.
-Dogs in car: They love it! They love always being on 'the go' with me. When I have to leave them alone, how is it any different from dogs who are crated at home for hours while the owners are at work? Pretty spacious crate, I'd say!
-Storage: I recently started renting a small storage closet that hold the extra stuff I don't use on a daily basis. Now I'm able to buy bulk items such as dog food for much cheaper obviously than buying the 5# bags every time.
-Comfort: Contrary to popular belief, my sleeping bag is quite comfortable used as a cushion and my 1 comforter keeps me very warm throughout the night (unless its especially cold, I'll start the car and run the heat for a while.)
-Safety: This is the one people who care about me are most concerned about. Yea, yea, I can see where they're coming from. I must say I feel much safer with my 2 super scary guard-dingoes. Who would break into a car that has a security alarm and 2 loud dogs barking at them?
-Privacy: No one can really see me laying in the back unless they press they're face up to the window, in which case, the dogs would be barking their heads off.
-TV/entertainment: Who needs TV? My Macbook Pro is the only tech device in my life and he suits all my entertainment needs as long as I can get internet which really isn't a problem in this dense city. But wait, being out and about in this city in itself IS entertainment. There's so much to see and do, not having a house to be lazy at is the perfect excuse for me to go explore and experience and LIVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment